FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: SAM-BA working under 64-bit Windows Vista via USB link?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:12 pm 

Hi,

I'm using an AT91SAM7X256-EK board to develop. I installed AT91-ISP v1.12 on my 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium OS, then tried to connect to the evaluation board to burn image to flash using SAM-BA 2.8. But after plugging in, this test board couldn't be recognized by Vista. I tried several solution, including modifying the atm6124.Inf file, finally it's recognized as "atm6124.sys AT91SAM7xxx Test Board", but the installation of the driver wasn't finished with the message "This driver is not intended for this operating system". I've also tried it on 32-bit Windows Vista, it's working fine. So I think it's the problem of driver: atm6124.sys which is for 32-bit operating system (Vista, Xp...) without supporting for 64-bit operating system. Anybody has similar problem? What will be the solution?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: SAM-BA working under 64-bit Windows Vista via USB link?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:49 pm 

I have the same problem. I am using vista x64 and I fail to load the driver for ISP (SAM-PROG v2.4), in xp the same process runs fine. I would very grateful if you can share the modified inf. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:46 pm 

SAM-BA doesn't work in Vista64 since the drivers, a) have to be built for 64bit architecture (DDK's have a build environment setup for this) and b) have to be signed, which they aren't. Vista32 didn't care about driver signatures either.

If you boot you're Vista X64 box, use the menu system by pressing F8 as windows boots, one of the options is to allow install/use of unsigned drivers. This may work, not tried it for SAM-BA only on other drivers.

You'll most likely continue to have this issue with Windows 7, given its based on Vista X64.

SAM-BA does work in Vista X64, I've been using it recently but only on the COM driver thats built into Windows. On your dev. board thats the debug UART not USB.

Cheers,

DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm 

Hello All,

So its now 2010 and 64-bit operating systems have been about for at least 5 years now. If not much longer. Atmel are making these ground breaking ARM processors but they can't seem to bring out a 64-bit compliant driver.

As an embedded engineer I have worked with multiple devices including AVRs, PICs, CPLDs and FPGAs. All of these devices have gotten their act together and brought out a 64-bit compliant driver. Whats more they brought them out years ago.

So are Atmel dropping the ARM7 range of devices or are they going to support 64-bit? It seems that soon they will be forced down one of these routes as 64-bit operating systems become more and more popular.

So should I chew the bullet now and move to the NXP range of ARM7 now or are Atmel going to finally get their act together?

Sorry for the outburst but I have been patiently awaiting the updated drivers for several years now and I am getting a bit tired of repeatedly having to tell customers that they should not buy these Atmel devices as they will not work on new systems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 pm 

So any advice on what I should be telling customers? Is there a 64-bit compliant driver on its way for the SAM-BA programming?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 pm 

Wow, This is a BIG problem. I am ready to release a new system and didn't even realize this was an issue, but I need a solution ASAP!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm 

I tried to disable driver signing on windows 7 64 bit by selecting F8 on boat, but still get driver is not 64 bit error when trying to install.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:06 pm 

If you let a driver automatically install for windows 7 64 bit it will load a GPS camera driver that has a hardware ID PID_6124.

Sam-Ba version 2.8 seems to work using this driver!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 pm 

Ah ok brilliant thanks for that, I will give it a go and report back on my progress :) Did you have to diable the driver signing to allow the driver to install or was it ok from the start?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm 

Benj wrote:
Ah ok brilliant thanks for that, I will give it a go and report back on my progress :) Did you have to diable the driver signing to allow the driver to install or was it ok from the start?

I did not have to disable the driver signing because the driver it uses is compatible. I think it is a built in driver for windows 7.

I haven't dug into it but shouldn't there be a INF file associated with this driver? Maybe it could be modified just to show a different name other then GPS device...?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:01 pm 

Hello

OK I used the TST procedure to revert the AT91 back to the default bootloader and then connected it up to a Windows 7 machine.

Using the auto install, the manual install and the auto update install no drivers what so ever were found. I then confirmed that the bootloader was working correctly by attaching to a XP machine where it was working fine.

Do you have a copy of the inf and sys file that is working for you on your 64-bit machine?

If not then does anyone else have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:41 pm 

Benj wrote:
Hello

OK I used the TST procedure to revert the AT91 back to the default bootloader and then connected it up to a Windows 7 machine.

Using the auto install, the manual install and the auto update install no drivers what so ever were found. I then confirmed that the bootloader was working correctly by attaching to a XP machine where it was working fine.

Do you have a copy of the inf and sys file that is working for you on your 64-bit machine?

If not then does anyone else have any suggestions?

I will be out of the office until monday, but will try to get that to you. Again, All I did was hook it to a windows 7 Ultimate 64 machine and it auto installed with a GPS driver that used the correct PID_6124.

I have contacted Atmel to ask about a driver for 64 bit and all they would say is that it is not availble yet and could not give me a extimate as when it would be.

IF I were you I would contact as well by submitting a support issue from teh atmel MCU forum and complain as I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm 

Here is the info on the driver:
GPS Camera Detect

Driver Provider: Wonde Proud
date 10/1/2006
version 5.2.3790.0
signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Details:

USB\VID_03EB&PID_6124&REV_0100
Service usbser
manufacturer WinARM
inf name: oem34.inf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 am 

Hello,
I'm currently trying to make windows 7 64 bits identify my Olimex SAM7-EX256 on USB port but I can't find a way to do it.
When I plug it, win7 can't Install drivers (not even the false GPS camera drivers mentioned above).
Is there anything I can do to make it work? At first I was thinking about loading my programs through USB because I didn't wanted to spend too much money on a JTAG device...
Should I try on a Linux distribution?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:16 am 

Alkounet wrote:
Hello,
I'm currently trying to make windows 7 64 bits identify my Olimex SAM7-EX256 on USB port but I can't find a way to do it.
When I plug it, win7 can't Install drivers (not even the false GPS camera drivers mentioned above).
Is there anything I can do to make it work? At first I was thinking about loading my programs through USB because I didn't wanted to spend too much money on a JTAG device...
Should I try on a Linux distribution?

Not sure, but does the Olimex board sue the same USB drivers for 32 bit windows?