AT91SAM9263, USB CDC Serial, and Win CE

This forum is for users of Atmel's SAM Series and who are interested in using WinCE OS.

Moderator: nferre

jjones@msa

AT91SAM9263, USB CDC Serial, and Win CE

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I have an AT91SAM9263 evaluation kit with the Adeneo BSP. I have gone through a lot of the demos just for the chip (no OS) and I understand what is going on with the peripherals. I am new to Win CE 6.0 but I understand the stream driver architecture (which seems to be the way you access most of the peripherals on the board) from my Win32 experience of days gone by. What I would like to do is be able to connect the board up to a PC and have it be recognized as a virtual COM port so we can write data to it easily. I was able to get the bare-metal demo to work but I have a few questions about the implementation in WinCE I hope someone can answer:

1. Does the Adeneo BSP come with everything I need to do this right out of the box? If so, are there instructions somewhere?
2. If not, does that mean I have to write a stream driver to open, close, read, and write to the port?
3. Which dll/sys file should I be using on the host side, usbser.sys?
4. Where does the code live to recognize when the USB cable is plugged in? Is that part of the driver or does that need to be part of the boot loader?

Thanks to anyone that can answer some of the questions I have.

Jonathan
jjones@msa

Re: AT91SAM9263, USB CDC Serial, and Win CE

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I was able to figure it out. A couple of things:

1. All the source code that you need to get the evaluation board to be recognized as a virtual serial port is included in the BSP.
2. You don't have to turn ActiveSync off but I found it is best to do so. If you setup the VID/PID for the USB device properly it will get recognized as an AT91 Virtual COM port but I turned it off anyway.
3. If you want to use the 6119.inf file, make sure you change the registry settings to reflect the PID/VID that the 6119.inf file is looking for.
4. Include USBFN drivers in your CE build

After I did these four things, my development machine recognized the board as a serial port. I am currently working on the WinCE side to make sure I can open up a stream driver to access the USB device port.
dexton_rivers

Re: AT91SAM9263, USB CDC Serial, and Win CE

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I too am facing some issues in understanding how the at9263evk board works as a usb serial device and am glad to have chanced upon your post. Based on your previous posts, can you please advise on the following:

1. All the source code that you need to get the evaluation board to be recognized as a virtual serial port is included in the BSP.
Is the EVK configured as a USB composite device and one of its interfaces is a CDC serial device?

2. You don't have to turn ActiveSync off but I found it is best to do so. If you setup the VID/PID for the USB device properly it will get recognized as an AT91 Virtual COM port but I turned it off anyway.
What do you mean by setup the VID/PID properly? So Windows ( i assume the USB Host is a windows desktop) has in-built device drivers that will recoginse the EVK as a virtual com port?

3. If you want to use the 6119.inf file, make sure you change the registry settings to reflect the PID/VID that the 6119.inf file is looking for.
What is this 6119.inf you are referring to and is it necessary?

4. Include USBFN drivers in your CE build

After I did these four things, my development machine recognized the board as a serial port. I am currently working on the WinCE side to make sure I can open up a stream driver to access the USB device port.
May I know how you are acessing the USB device port?

Thanks.

Regards,
John

Return to “WinCE”