SAM-BA issue with custom board

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

ianscriven

SAM-BA issue with custom board

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:12 am

Hi,

I've got a custom board based on the 9263-EK, and I'm having issues with SAM-BA (version 2.9). My SDRAM is working fine (I can send and receive files to/from it, and the match), however any applet I try to run (such as Enable Nandflash) hangs SAM-BA.

The output window shows:

Code: Select all

-I- NANDFLASH::Init (trace level : 4)
-I- Loading applet isp-nandflash-at91sam9263.bin at address 0x20000000
(AT91-ISP v1.13) 1 %
and then SAM-BA becomes unresponsive, and needs to be killed.

I guess my next step is to recompile SAM-BA and enable debug output for the applets to try to work out what's going on.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this kind of problem?
rfrost

Re: SAM-BA issue with custom board

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi,

If you have based the design on the eval board i.e. using the same chip select (suitable for nand) etc and I guess you have checked the applets your using on the eval board then I would suspect a hardware problem.

check the nand i/f signals for connectivity if you can, if your using the dreaded BGA device then your stuck. Try to see if the signals are functioning as expected with a scope. Normally I would expect applets to hang up if I have hardware problems. Try another board if you can and check the hardware design is correct.

happy hunting
ernest

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 pm

hi,
Do you use the same clock circuitry as in the AT91SAM9263-EK schematics ?
What interface do you use with SAM-BA (dbgu, usb-device) ?
Did you make some test with several SAM-BA version ?
ianscriven

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:55 am

I don't think it's an issue with the nand flash - if I pull #CE high, the applet still hangs - shouldn't it fail to find a device, and report as such?

I'm using SAM-BA over USB, I'm using the same crystals/filters as the -EK board. I'm not using the same nand flash chip as the eval kit - I'm using the MT29F2G08AAD instead of the MT29F2G08AAC.

The SDRAM appears to work fine, but to me it seems like SAM-BA hangs somewhere around copying the applet to the device or executing the copied code?
ianscriven

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 am

On closer inspection my SDRAM isn't working properly - I've got the NBS0-3 signals mixed up - NBS0 and and NBS1 are swapped, as are NBS2 and NBS3. I don't see a work-around - I'm using BGA SDRAM chips, and internal layers to route the signals.

Return to “SAM-BA”