getting started with samba

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

steve_mowbray@hotmail.com

getting started with samba

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi

we are planning having dbgu as the only available comms interface in our custom board and are considering the implications of this particularly with regard to post manufacture programming and field upgrade. I have read through the SAMBA and ISP user guides but they seem to be a bit light on target side details. I would be grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of more comprehensive documentation about SAMBA particularly wrt:

1. post manufacture flash programming - with just dbgu available what is the procedure - do I need extra hardware support for initial flash programming.

2. in field flash firmware upgrade - I had in mind some sort of SAMBA "agent" as part of the application code which would detect SAMBA running on the connected host and switch to flash programming mode.

any rough pointers, guides, points to consider gratefully received.
Cheers
Steve
nscwa

Re: getting started with samba

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm

1. post manufacture flash programming - with just dbgu available what is the procedure - do I need extra hardware support for initial flash programming.
I think that DBGU will be quite enough. You can access all memory via SAM-BA. All You have to do is to create your custom board configs and scripts. All this is defined in "Extending SAM-BA Programming Capabilities" from ATMEL.
2. in field flash firmware upgrade - I had in mind some sort of SAMBA "agent" as part of the application code which would detect SAMBA running on the connected host and switch to flash programming mode.
You didn't mention your boards parameters, like CPU, flashes, etc...
As for AT91SAM9261, it can boot in two different ways depends on the BMS signal:
If BMS=0 - the CPU boots from the external NOR Flash.
If BMS=1 - the CPU boots from the internal ROM, which can load a bootstrap from a DataFlash or NAND Flash.

You should read your CPU's datasheet more carefully. I am sure there is quite full description of booting procedure.

Return to “SAM-BA”