sam-ba jffs2 programming support

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

svolpe

sam-ba jffs2 programming support

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 am

Can SAM-BA write a jffs2 image to flash (nand)? I figured it would be the same as any other bin file but it does not seem to be. I tried it and although it even passed the compare, when I boot the system the Linux kernel punts out and says it can't find the root file system. When I program the same image (rootfs.jffs2) through Linux then boot the board the kernel does find the root file system. The only real difference is when I program it in Linux I use flash_eraseall -j which erases and formats the nand flash for jffs2, is this what sam-ba is missing , the formating of the flash for jffs2 (-j)?
Regards,
Shane
fingar

Re: sam-ba jffs2 programming support

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:04 pm

I use Samba to program a jffs2 file system to NAND flash on my AT91SAM9260 board. Are you sure you are writing it to the correct address in nand flash?
When you write in Linux you write to /dev/mtd0 or 1 etc. If your file system is in /dev/mtd1 for example then you need to program at the start of mtd1. If you aren't sure what that address is, Linux tells you as it is booting.
svolpe

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Fingar,
What version of SAM-BA are you using? I suspect my problem is I'm using a very old version (2.5) because currently my board (Olimex L9260) is only supported in that version. I will have to port it to the newer version of SAM-BA. I have the SDRAM working but the NAND flash does not seem to work, it gets detected and initialized but if I do a chip erase all the data is still there after the erase. I will have to get to the bottom of it.
Regards,
Shane
falingtrea

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I use SAM-BA 2.7 and 2.8 on a SAM9260 board with no issues. I believe there are bug fixes in the latest versions specifically for the 9260 and 9G20 and NAND flash.
Tim Barr
Multitech Inc.

Return to “SAM-BA”