Development using Atmel Studio?

Discussion around products based on ARM Cortex-A5 core.

Moderator: nferre

simon.brouwer

Development using Atmel Studio?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am

Hi,

I'm considering to use the ATSAMA5D225C-D1M for a product that will include a TFT display, a wifi module and a USB interface. I have experience programming Atmel Arm MCUs using Atmel Studio, but it doesn't support the ATSAMA5D MPU in e.g. the Start "create new project" wizard. Is it a feasible approach, in the first place, to do non-Linux development for the SAMA5D, or should I start with an existing Linux solution, and adapt that to my needs?

Best regards
Simon
blue_z

Re: Development using Atmel Studio?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:39 pm

simon.brouwer wrote: I'm considering to use the ATSAMA5D225C-D1M for a product that will include a TFT display, a wifi module and a USB interface.
That's too ambiguous to estimate/evaluate any software requirements.
A "TFT display" could use a SPI interface or could use the SoC's LCD controller.
A "WiFi module" could use a UART port, and not require a network protocol stack.
A "USB interface" could be a single gadget, or could be a host port that requires a protocol stack and a collection of drivers to support every USB device that you want to support.

On the other hand, the system software could dictate some HW choices.
If you use Linux, then preference should go to selecting devices that already have Linux kernel drivers.
Beware of "WiFi modules" that are a self-contained subsystem (such as CC3000 and ESP32 modules), which will not be recognized as a network device by the Linux kernel.

Regards
friesen

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 am

I think Linux will be a bit cramped on this device, thinking of mmu and memory management overhead. You would probably need to do xip out of qspi perhaps.

With a little work, you can develop in eclipse using the Atmel software package and use most of the existing makefile system. Or you could also use VisualGdB, which works too, but the debugging isn’t quite as troublefree yet for some reason.

Be advised you’ll need to add support for this device in the package, ddr refs and misc aren’t up to date for this part. I could post some code if you needed it.

That said, if you aren’t willing to learn makefiles a bit, then I don’t know. However, iar isn’t going to help either, they don’t have a working environment for this particular chip.

So once you get it working, you have to manually add build items to the makefile, but otherwise it’s hit the debug/build buttons like you are used to.
friesen

Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:45 am

Also, bare metal framework doesn’t have usb host support, if that matters.

Return to “SAMA5D Cortex-A5 MPU”