Can Wiring for SAM3x8E

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M3 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

mm2426

Can Wiring for SAM3x8E

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 am

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to run my first CAN example on my SAM3x8E board. I am trying to use CAN0 for communication. I am having a usb CAN analyzer to which I am sending data. I am having problem in wiring. We have 2 pins for can on SAM viz. CANRX & CANTX. I want to know how should I connect SAM to the USB CAN analyzer. It would be great if you could give any wiring diagrams or something. I also had a question do I have to use a differential transceiver for this job? If yes then how can I connect that please tell. I can find only two wires coming from my CAN analyzer.
Bob_Keil

Re: Can Wiring for SAM3x8E

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:35 am

Hello

CAN needs only two wires to operate. CAN_Hi and CAN_Lo.
A ground does not need to be connected if the CAN transceivers are working properly and the wires intact. But to provide a ground is a good idea.
You also need to terminate the two ends of the network with a couple of 120 ohm resistors. If you do not have the resistors the network will not work.

I wrote a CAN Primer: www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_247.asp
There is a sample schematic in it.
I have one for the SAM3X but it is not completed.

Bob
cmcraeslo

Re: Can Wiring for SAM3x8E

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:11 am

Bob, what a brilliant tutorial you have there. It's the best one I've seen in a long time. Btw, do you have SAM3xE tutorial ready maybe? Thanks!

Return to “SAM3 Cortex-M3 MCU”