Seriously now, where to start?

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M3 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

Bugs_Bunny

Seriously now, where to start?

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:29 pm

I got myself a SAM3 MCU hooked up but I can not do anything with it really... I actually have experience with AVRs as well as 8051, 8086 even in assembly but I can not find a guide or tutorial to get me started on this. If anyone cares to share some directions I would appreciate it! I remember it took me only 3 days to get a working project on an AVR and I have zero MCU experience back then! I hope I can make something on this M3 within 3 days as well now that I have some experience! :)
BillBoyd

Re: Seriously now, where to start?

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 am

Hello

You can go to www.keil.com/atmel and there are three labs there you can follow.

You will need the free Keil MDK toolchain and a debug adapter such as offered by Atmel. What board do you have ? Some of the Xplained boards have an on-board debugger that is CMSIS-DAP compliant and useable with MDK.

In addition download the Keil Legacy Support to be able to follow the directions since these labs were written for MDK 4 and not the current MDK 5. http://www2.keil.com/mdk5/legacy

There is a useful Getting Started Guide for Keil MDK. http://www2.keil.com/docs/default-sourc ... f?sfvrsn=0

Search for Joseph Yiu Definitive Guide to the Coretx-M3 for an excellent book on Cortex-M processors.

Bob Boys
San Mateo, CA
Bugs_Bunny

Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:57 am

I would actually like to work under AVR Studio as I know that environment well. I have limited experience with Keil working with NXP 8051 compatible MCUs. I don't have a development board, just the "SAM" on a breakout board and my debugger / programmer is the Atmel ICE.

Seems Atmel only offers example projects for the demo boards they ship, and I am having a hard time following what goes on there as there.
BillBoyd

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Hello

I suggest the Keil labs because it provides a good "out of the box" experience. You can be running a Blinky program in minutes on your board. Even the RTX Blinky example !

Using it can really help you get familiar with The SAM3 without a lot of needless pain struggling with tools.

The Blinky project will work on your test board with the SAM-ICE. It doesn't need any external hardware. You can test the JTAG/SWD connection to your board very quickly to see if the uVision/SAM-ICE is talking to your CPU.

Once you get a bit familiar - you can easily switch over to Studio and always have a "reference" design to fall back on if you end up in the weeds. You will not have wasted much time.

If you really like Keil - there is a year-long version for $745...or keep under 32K (is a lot for many programs)

PS - use Serial Wire Debug (SWD or SW) - is only a two pin debug connection to your board instead of 4 or 5 with JTAG. Less soldering for you. :-)

Bob
Bugs_Bunny

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 am

@awneil - Sorry, I meant to say Atmel Studio (obviously) :)
I perfectly get why they offer code that suites the board they sell, however with the AVRs they had codes that were so generic that I could understand concepts within minutes vs. hours or days if I would pick up a book. I would be happy to see something like that for the ARMs as well.
nutsnbolts

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 am

See http://www.atmel.com/devices/SAM3U4C.aspx?tab=documents
About 1/2 way down is.. "Getting Started with SAM3U Microcontrollers"
While you're there, grab "SAM3U Series Complete " (at the top).
The "Getting started" has many useful pointers, which, when used with the "SAM3U Complete" contains pretty much all the facts you'll need. Read (or, at least, skim thoroughly!). Then...
Download an "ASF" example of interest in Atmel Studio. They're a bit daunting, at first (and still are, later!), but plod through, and try to follow what's going on.
Here's a tip I gave "Bogdancev" in:  discussions/viewtopic.php/f,24/t,23155.html
In Atmel Studio6, you can right click on a function, and "Go to Implementation"- write down where you are on paper (file name, line number)- there's no "back" button! It'll also help you make some sense of the program's flow.
Alternatively, highlight the function's name, Edit->Find & Replace->Find in Files will (usually!) come up with all occurrences in a list you can step through.
Best Regards,
Mike.
killlereye

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:49 am

Using it can really help you get familiar with The SAM3 without a lot of needless pain struggling with tools. The Blinky project will work on your test board with the SAM-ICE. It doesn't need any external hardware. You can test the JTAG/SWD connection to your board very quickly to see if the uVision/SAM-ICE is talking to your CPU.???

Return to “SAM3 Cortex-M3 MCU”