ATSAM3X8E high current consumption

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M3 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

marcelocamposs

ATSAM3X8E high current consumption

Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Dear friends

I´m using some ATSAM3X8E that are consuming about 170mA ! and i think this is a very high current consumption for this device, i´m only using ADC and DAC and chip is running with 12MHz xtal .

The topology of the circuit and connections is very simple, like Arduino DUE .

May i do something to solve this ???

thanks and best regards,

marcelo
nutsnbolts

Re: ATSAM3X8E high current consumption

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:59 am

Your chip datasheet will give current consumption figures for each peripheral (DC characteristics). Check these to see if you're in the ballpark for your enabled peripherals. Check your JTAG connections are terminated as per datasheet, configure unused pins as outputs, and set to output Lo. You may only have a 12MHz XTAL, but the system is probably running at several times this figure via the PLL. Slowing the system down will reduce power consumption. Check that all unused peripherals are disabled. All basic stuff.

Mike.
marcelocamposs

Re: ATSAM3X8E high current consumption

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:58 pm

nutsnbolts wrote:Your chip datasheet will give current consumption figures for each peripheral (DC characteristics). Check these to see if you're in the ballpark for your enabled peripherals. Check your JTAG connections are terminated as per datasheet, configure unused pins as outputs, and set to output Lo. You may only have a 12MHz XTAL, but the system is probably running at several times this figure via the PLL. Slowing the system down will reduce power consumption. Check that all unused peripherals are disabled. All basic stuff.

Mike.
Dear Mike

thanks for your response

The Jtag Pins are open, need to pull up this may be ?

Now i have disabled the USB and the current drop down 40mA and access Flash in 64 bits page for more efficient power consumption like datasheet recommends, but the chip still hot and consuming about 110 mA

My program needs the maximum speed so, i can´t slow down the cpu / periferal (AD and Dac) clock

more suggestions ?

And there are another thing I´m very very curious on this: this same chip on Arduino Due don't stay hot and power consumption is below my values

thanks

marcelo

Return to “SAM3 Cortex-M3 MCU”