CAN driver not working with SAM3X8E

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M3 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

NFlynn

CAN driver not working with SAM3X8E

Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 pm

The CAN driver when added by the ASF Wizard to a sample program for the Arduino board does not transmit.

After adding the driver, I copied the test code from Unit Tests for SAM CAN Driver SAM3X-EK. There is no output from the CANTX pin on the the Arduino board.

I am using Atmel Studio 6.1 as 6.2 is unstable on my computer.
I am able to load the Unit Test program on the Arduino board and check the output with a oscilloscope to see the output.
CollinK

Re: CAN driver not working with SAM3X8E

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Since you're using an Arduino board you might try my library for the Due and see if that transmits for you. Lots of people use it so presumably if you aren't getting anything from TX then something is broken hardware-wise. Yes, this will require that you download the Arduino IDE if you don't already have it. I know it isn't quite as powerful as AS but it can be easier to quickly prove the hardware. If you can get TX with the due_can library then I suppose it's time to look back through the ASF sample to figure out what is going on. I have not actually ever used the ASF stuff. due_can is essentially a modified copy of it that works with the Arduino IDE but I've never used the unmodified ASF code so I'd have to dig into it a bit more.

https://github.com/collin80/due_can

Return to “SAM3 Cortex-M3 MCU”