Linux SAM7S USB flash utility

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

pjs

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:35 am

Posted a new version of my little linux-based loader. Added support for the other SAM7S chips and the new SAM7X.

http://www.pjrc.com/arm/sam7_pgm/
konkers

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:36 pm

pjs wrote:Posted a new version of my little linux-based loader. Added support for the other SAM7S chips and the new SAM7X.

http://www.pjrc.com/arm/sam7_pgm/
Did you ever get your flasher code working? I notice you still have a comment about not being able to return to the boot program.

-Erik
pjs

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:29 pm

Nope, haven't worked on that. It's only a speed issue, and doing it one word at a time works fine, if slowly. I'm planning to focus my future efforts on JTAG, so this code is mostly a stepping stone to get to JTAG.

I recently got a SAM7X chip, and my inital hardcoding for the SAM7S64 became painful. So now it reads the ID register and sets the params according to which chip is used. Also added the NVM bit needed for the 7X chips. It should work with all the 7S and 7X chips, and adding new flavors ought in id_code.c ought to be pretty simple.

On the JTAG front, I've yet to find a open and documented and affordable USB-JTAG adaptor. The Segger is closed, and it appears to have something strange in its USB enumeration that Linux doesn't like, so there's little hope of ever using the Segger adaptor on Linux, even if the protocol were available without a NDA. Xilinx sells one that appear to be capable of really high speed, but so far, can't find protocol documentation. A closed-source win32 DLL is not documentation.

So far, I'm fiddling with a homemade wiggler clone. But its slow and eventually I want to get to USB. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to roll my own USB-JTAG adaptor.
konkers

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:16 pm

pjs wrote: On the JTAG front, I've yet to find a open and documented and affordable USB-JTAG adaptor. The Segger is closed, and it appears to have something strange in its USB enumeration that Linux doesn't like, so there's little hope of ever using the Segger adaptor on Linux, even if the protocol were available without a NDA. Xilinx sells one that appear to be capable of really high speed, but so far, can't find protocol documentation. A closed-source win32 DLL is not documentation.

So far, I'm fiddling with a homemade wiggler clone. But its slow and eventually I want to get to USB. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to roll my own USB-JTAG adaptor.
The FTDI FT2232 (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT2232C.htm) has a what they call Multi-Protocol Synchronous Serial Engine (MPSSE) which can be programmed to talk JTAG. Drivers exist for both windows and linux. I've not used it for JTAG, however it's worked well for me in SPI, FIFO, and UART mode. I alawys thought that this would be a good basis for an open JTAG interface.

If you're interested in collaborating on building one of these, let me know.

-Erik
pjs

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:12 am

Looked at FTDI. Seems like the JTAG support is in FTCJTAG.DLL, which I couldn't find any source other than the header file. There is an open source bit bashing library, which could probably be used to build something similar on linux... maybe?

Anyway, that's getting ahead of myself. I'm still just struggling to truly uderstand the finer points of injecting instructions into the ARM pipeline and then knowing which bus cycles are for what. It'll be quite some time before I'm ready to seriously consider designing a cross platform USB-JTAG adaptor.
nishantd

Help upon the processor to new user

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 am

Hii, All

I am new user to this processor,can anybody some important information about this porcessor, one should say keynotes for this, and another i have load the Linux eval version in the Sram, but i am unable to copy it to the Flash, so can anybody provide me information about that also, and another thing is we are using AT91RM9200-EK, so can you please provide me the information about developing USB device driver on that board, and if any other forums, please inform me about that also.

Thanks,
Nishant

Return to “SAM-BA”