programming serial numbers

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

ronw

programming serial numbers

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Since the SAM7X micros do not have on-board EEPROM (or similar), and we would rather not have to include a seperate EEPROM device in our final design, we want to embed the serial number into the code programmed into the FLASH ROM.

I have looked at the SAM-BA program, an do not see a way - other than writing a TCL script - to put auto-incrementing serial numbers into the code as it is being programmed into the SAM7X.

Has anyone done this? If so, are you willing to let us use your script?
dharper

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:44 pm

As an alternate solution, you might want to take a look at the Dallas Semi DS2401. This is a small, relatively inexpensive device that has a unique serial number embedded in it. All it takes is one I/O pin to read the device. I've used them in several designs to serialize boards.

Dave
ronw

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks.

As I said, we would really rather not have any extra chip on the board.

Out normal procedure for a micro with out on-board EEPROM (or "data flash") is to post-process the ready-to-flash output of the build, then feed the serialized version to the flash programming tool.

The flash programming tools for the SAM7X appear to only accept input in a binary format, as opposed to something like a HEX or S19 file - either of which could be trivially modified by a Perl script to insert a serial number and a CRC.
ronw

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm

I read through some of the TCL scripts for the SAM-BA program with the thought to try to write a serializers script.

Looking through it, it appears that the .BIN files are simply a "raw" image of the content to be programmed into FLASH.

Is this really the case?

If so, I could easily write a Perl script to read the file and produce a copy with the serial number substituted in at the proper address.
sst

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:41 pm

have you been able to do this?
I want to burn in the ethernet mac into my board and need a similar script.

Return to “SAM-BA”