NO valid procesor id found

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

AISSMS

NO valid procesor id found

Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:59 pm

We r using SAM-BA (Debug port) where we r getting this error "No valid processor ID found".the chip is properly erased still the error is persistent.

can plz anyone help u on this as early as possible?
jgrubb

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:22 am

I get this error too almost every time I try to use it. I found that if you power cycle the board, then hit the board reset button, then start the SAM-BA programmer utility.... then it works. No idea why it takes a power cycle AND a reset, but that works for me.
Cyberian

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:31 am

I also had this problem but my solution is different.

For most of the time I work with the s256 an xc256 and everything was ok.

Now we changed to the x512 and sam-ba wouldn't work anymore but sam-prog did. I found out that in the script file devices.tcl in the devices sub-directory had the wrong DeviceID Value for my chip.
harrybauer

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 pm

ive just posted the same problem with my at91sam9260ek

this is what i dont get, when i bought this device, it was working. the next day i get these no valid processor id found messages.

ive not even loaded any software to this device yet. when i first connected it, i was just making sure the device was working, i was receiving a bootROM message via serial. sam-ba found the device and i was able to see the contents of the registers etc.

the next day, the at91sam9260ek stops working, well sam-ba start pumping out these no valid processor messages. nothing coming through the hyperterminal, i cant do nothing with this device.

i emailed atmel, they responded by saying, use the at91 recovery software, which is great, but here's the thing, you need sam-ba to transfer the image to the device. now if sam-ba cant even find the device, how can i transfer the image?????

please please please please please please somebody please help us.

is there another way of doing this? can i somehow make boot flash card and then insert the flash card in to the device? is it possible to do this? im searching the internet to find a solution but im facing barriers everywhere i turn.

please help us,

from a stressed out student.
AntiSullin

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:43 am

You must get the device to boot from its internal rom and wait for sam-ba connection (romboot prompt on serial). Then connect with samba via either USB or serial port. Getting to the prompt means setting bms to internal boot and disconnecting all dataflash CS's where an image is present.
harrybauer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 pm

AntiSullin wrote:You must get the device to boot from its internal rom and wait for sam-ba connection (romboot prompt on serial). Then connect with samba via either USB or serial port. Getting to the prompt means setting bms to internal boot and disconnecting all dataflash CS's where an image is present.
First of all THANK YOU for replying.

Second. The BMS JUMPER 7 is open, i,e the pins are not connected.

Third. "dataflash CS's" are you reffering to the soldered resistors that connect to the dataflash on the board? If so, that will be either R40 or R36 resistor but which one do i remove?

Fourth. Im following your instructions, and Im not sure how any image got on to the device. im mean, i havn't uploaded anything to this device? but anyways, Once i remove the CS's, i should then be able to gain access, to the boot message. SO do i upload the software, i.e. bootstrap, uboot, kernel and fs and then resolider the CS's back to the board? or do i leave it off

PS. Im a newbie, all i want to do is just put my custom linux kernel on to this device, hence my lack of knowledge in electronics. although im learning much as possible in this field, again, thanks for your reply i will post my results asap.
AntiSullin

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:14 am

You should have a jumper on the CS line of dataflash chip (at least the SAM9261ek has).
Boot sequence:
if BMS is off, it boots from nCS0 (NOR flash on nCS0). But that's not there on the ek.
If BMS is on, it boots with its internal wisdom. Then it searches for Dataflash on SPI0.0. If found, it boots from there. If not, it waits for initialization from sam-ba via USB or serial.
Remember, that if you disconnect your dataflash CS to make the bootup magic not find the dataflash, then you need still a jumper to re-connect it as samba has connected to the chip. Otherwise, you cannot program the dataflash with sam-ba.
harrybauer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:27 am

Hi

Thank you for replying, Unfortunately there are two options left for me

A) Use another but working at91sam9260ek and create a recovery image onto a flash card. Insert the card into my original but unbootable ek, or

B) disable two resistors, upload bootstrap and re-solder the two resistors.

As i dont have a spare at91sam9260ek board, i am left with option B, i will attempt this soon and i will post back my results.

Luckly i got some cash as i need to develop for another project, this time, i will get the next version of at91 boards like the 9261 or higher which have a hard reset (if possible).

Thanks again friend.
spk110

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:56 am

Have a look at recent topic SAMBA hardware requirement in this forum
hope that may help you.

Return to “SAM-BA”