Help: AT91-ISP v1.10 for new Nand Flash support

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

victor

Help: AT91-ISP v1.10 for new Nand Flash support

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi

I'm currently using SAM-BA for our customized board with different Nand Flash from AT91SAM9260EK board. I have two questions here:

1. It looks SAM-BA uses "SAM-BA-nand.bin" under directory "C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\AT91-ISP v1.10\SAM-BA v2.6\monitors\SAM-BA-NandFlash". The Nand source code is there. What kind of toolchain (compiler) I can use to compile it so that I can add other Nand Flash support for SAM-BA? And has "SAM-BA-nand-small.bin" under "C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\AT91-ISP v1.10\SAM-BA v2.6\lib\AT91SAM9260-EK" been verified for nand flash with small blocks?

2. There is TCL procesure "proc NANDFLASH::TagGoodBlock" that can be used to mark bad blocks in "NANDFLASH.tcl". And I found I can use it to set bad blocks on the Flash. But if I marked a good block as bad one, is there any way to recovery it?

Thanks a lot,

Victor Chen
diego

NAND flash monitor build

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi,

I made exactly the same question to Atmel support and they said me:
We use ARM ADS1.2 toolchain to compile the monitor.
But it seems to be something wrong because i get errors while compiling the assembler file.

If you are able to compile your own monitor, please tell how you make it.

Regards,
Diego A. Fons.
victor

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Diego,

I don't have ADS1.2 toolchain and so I can't compile it. But I got my problem resolved by forcing TCL script to use small page/block nand flash driver and add my nand flash ID on the list. After these changes, I found I can use SAM-BA 2.6 to program imgages on flash (which originally not supported).

Thanks,
Victor
diego

NAND flash monitor build

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi Victor,

I'm glad you could write your NAND.
What do you mean with:
...forcing TCL script to use small page/block nand flash driver...
I'm using SAM-BA 2.6 which has only one NAND script and two monitors (NAND and Small-NAND).
By the way, i'm using a Ronetix pm9261 board.

Another question, you've developed your own NAND, but did you connect it to the default pins? I mean, did you use the pins which are configure in the script?
CLE --> A21
ALE --> A22
~RE --> PC0
~WE --> PC1
~CE --> PC14
RD/BY --> PC15

Because my problem is that i have to use these pins:
CLE --> A21
ALE --> A22
~RE --> PC0
~WE --> PC1
~CE --> PC14
RD/BY --> PA16

Did you configure different pins? and how?

Regards,
Diego A. Fons.
victor

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Hi Diego,

The TCL script file which is used to control Nand Flash (NANDFLASH.tcl) (initialziation/read/write etc) is under C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\AT91-ISP v1.10\SAM-BA v2.6\lib\AT91SAM9260-EK by default. Basically, the sam-ba will download SAM-BA-nand.bin or SAM-BA-nand-small.bin and after that it communiate with rom code by sending command. My board happened to use the same pin number as evelation board so I don't need to change any PIO settings.
For your situation, probably you have to modify TCl file (take a look "proc NANDFLASH::Init { }" see how to config these pins). And try to run TCL proc with SAM-BA (Such as ::NANDFLASH::Init to see if you can read Nand Device ID).

Good luck

Return to “SAM-BA”