SEGFAULT building toolchain under buildroot after upgrade

Discussion around products based on ARM Cortex-A5 core.

Moderator: nferre

Wicked96SS

SEGFAULT building toolchain under buildroot after upgrade

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I hope that there is a fix for this, because it's just bizarre something like this should happen.

I am following these instructions to the letter:
linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/BuildRootBuild

I have actually been building and modifying this for a couple weeks new (as well as kernel, boostrap, and U-Boot). 

The problem came when I upgraded my build machine to Ubuntu 14.04, thus changing my GCC from version 4.6.3 to 4.8.2.  

First this caused a problem with Texinfo being "too new", and strict, so I downgraded, that was no problem (really), just a pain.

But, as the build went on, it causes segmentation faults.  Here's the output:

Code: Select all

/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2-intermediate/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2-intermediate/./gcc/ -B/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/host/usr/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/ -B/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/host/usr/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/lib/ -isystem /home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/host/usr/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/include -isystem /home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/host/usr/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/sys-include    -g -Os -O2  -g -Os -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE  -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition  -isystem ./include   -fPIC -fno-inline -g -DIN_LIBGCC2 -fbuilding-libgcc -fno-stack-protector   -fPIC -fno-inline -I. -I. -I../.././gcc -I/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc -I/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/. -I/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/../gcc -I/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/../include  -DHAVE_CC_TLS  -o _ctzsi2.o -MT _ctzsi2.o -MD -MP -MF _ctzsi2.dep -DL_ctzsi2 -c /home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c -fvisibility=hidden -DHIDE_EXPORTS
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__addvdi3':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:111:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://bugs.buildroot.net/> for instructions.
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__absvdi2':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:273:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__subvdi3':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:149:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__negvdi2':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:214:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
make[2]: *** [_absvdi2.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [_addvdi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_subvdi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_negvdi2.o] Error 1
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__mulvsi3':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:162:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
make[2]: *** [_mulvsi3.o] Error 1
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c: In function '__mulvdi3':
/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2/libgcc/libgcc2.c:397:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
make[2]: *** [_mulvdi3.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2-intermediate/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/libgcc'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2-intermediate'
make: *** [/home/brad/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91/output/toolchain/gcc-4.7.2-intermediate/.compiled] Error 2
brad@BAD-HORSE:~/work/AT91SAMA5D35-EK/buildroot-at91$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
I've done a "make clean", and even started over with a fresh git repository to see if it might have been something messed up in mine, but both cause the same problem at the same place. 

I know of at least one other post to this on this board, and about half a dozen bug reports over on buildroots bug site.  They shrug their shoulders and say "not our problem" as the above is a branch of the supported version.  

Has anybody found a fix for this?  I suppose I could just set up a VM running 12.04 LTS, but, would rather not.  

Help!
tpetazzoni

Re: SEGFAULT building toolchain under buildroot after upgrad

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Could you try using the mainline/official Buildroot (from http://buildroot.org) instead of Atmel's Buildroot? Atmel's Buildroot is forked from Buildroot 2012.11, which is quite old, almost two years old.

I'm using the official Buildroot on a daily basis, with an Ubuntu 14.04 system, and I can build a toolchain just fine.
Wicked96SS

Re: SEGFAULT building toolchain under buildroot after upgrad

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Thank you for the tip.  That's what I ended up doing.  Although I had to fudge the defconfig a bit (I am using the sama5d3ek, not the Xplained, so a minor amount of tweaking and it works).

Now, if ONLY I could get the hardware acceleration for encryption to work with OpenSSL... but that's another topic! ;)

Thanks again.

Return to “SAMA5D Cortex-A5 MPU”