SAMA5d31 NAND flash

Discussion around products based on ARM Cortex-A5 core.

Moderator: nferre

tomek32

SAMA5d31 NAND flash

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Hello everyone! We built board with SAMA5d31 cpu.
I have a problem with NAND flash (with sam-ba).
I am trying to connect sam-ba (COM1 on PC) to DBGU port on our board.
Error in sam-ba (2.13) is "Invalid chip ID".
Communication on COM1 is OK - in terminal there is "RomBOOT" message.
Is it possible to connect through DBGU port? On eval board we used USB cable to flash. Thanks for help Tomek
blue_z

Re: SAMA5d31 NAND flash

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:29 am

tomek32 wrote:Is it possible to connect through DBGU port?
SAM-BA documentation claims that serial COM can be used.
But SAM-BA v2.13 hangs for me after specifying the connection and board (SAMA5D36-EK modified to put DBGU on RS232 port.)
I filed a support case with Atmel:
Case Summary:
SAM-BA v2.13 fails to connect using RS232

Case Comment:
I am trying to use SAM-BA with a SAMA5D36-EK. The DBGU port has been connected to J8 (the DB9 connector) by removing two resistors (R44 & R45) and moving R28 & R31 to R132 & R133 respectively.. SAM-BA Monitor, AT91Bootstrap, U-Boot and the Linux serial console all function as expected on this RS232 port for several months of development.

The host PC can dual-boot 32-bit Ubuntu 10.4 LTS or Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1. Both OSes are current with all required patches and updates. The PC motherboard has a serial COM port that is COM1 in Win7 and /dev/ttyS0 in Linux. SAM-BA v2.13 was installed for each OS. Neither version of SAM-BA can connect to the EK board using the serial link.

In Linux the initial SAM-BA window does not allow specification of /dev/ttyS0 for the connection. It does not appear as a menu choice. If manually typed in, then an open failure is reported. If a FTDI USB-to-RS232 adapter is used instead and /dev/ttyUSB0 is specified as the connection, then SAM-BA seems to hang forever after the "connect" button is clicked. The initial window stays open and never changes.

In Windows7, after the connection and board are specified, SAM-BA closes that initial window and then goes dormant. Windows Task Manager indicates that sam-ba is still a live process but consumes 0 CPU activity. After SAM-BA closes that initial window, there's no indication that SAM-BA is doing anything.

For all cases the SAMA5D36-EK is rebooted into the SAM-BA Monitor before SAM-BA is started on the host. This mode is verified by using a terminal emulator program, and sending a version command ("V#") and getting a valid response ("v2.1 Oct 19 2012 17:38:58").

SAM-BA is documented to work with the COM port, but SAM-BA seems unable to get past some initialization/connection phase when using RS232.
If you're having SAM-BA connection issues, why is the title about NAND?

Regards

Return to “SAMA5D Cortex-A5 MPU”