SAMA5D3 SD Image: Heartbeat but no Serial Console

Moderator: nferre

liamd

SAMA5D3 SD Image: Heartbeat but no Serial Console

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:32 am

Hello,

We're looking at using the SAMA5D3 Xplained board to replace an Arduino project, I've been tasked with building an image for the board. The factory-flashed firmware works great, but I've had trouble getting an SD image to work the same way. (No networking or serial console).

If you could check over my process and/or suggest some things to try I'd really appreciate it.

I've been following the installation guide for the A5D3_XPLD here: https://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view ... nPage#Demo

I've:
  • Downloaded the Poky SD Image (ftp://www.at91.com/pub/demo/linux4sam_6 ... .1.img.bz2)
  • Decompressed it:

Code: Select all

bzip -d linux4sam-poky-sama5d3_xplained-6.1.img.bz2
  • Flashed an SD card with the image:

dd if=linux4sam-poky-sama5d3_xplained-6.1.img of=/dev/sd
  • Mounted the newly created SD card partitions, P2 => /mnt and P1 => /mnt/boot
  • Listed the files in /boot:

$ ls -l /mnt/boot
    total 4858
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   19897 Jul 17 03:21 BOOT.BIN
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4205680 Jul 17 03:21 sama5d3_xplained.itb
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  731572 Jul 17 03:21 u-boot.bin
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   16384 Jul 17 03:21 uboot.env

• Umounted with umount waited for the sync command to finish
  • Plug SD card into the Xplained development board
  • Opened Jumper JP5
  • Repowered the Device
The LED shows a heartbeat pattern, and it's serial device pops up on my Linux machine. But nothing seems to happen when I try open it (using minicom or picocom, 115200 bps).

The second ethernet port shows an orange light, but the device does not appear on the network.

Do you have any ideas why the SD card image would stop the serial console or networking?
liamd

Re: SAMA5D3 SD Image: Heartbeat but no Serial Console

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:47 am

I've just managed to get the board to connect to the network.

Replugging the ethernet back into the primary port seems to have done the trick.

The serial console still seems to hang. Now that I have SSH access to the board, these are the processes using /dev/ttyS0:

root@sama5d3-xplained-sd:~# ps -ef | grep ttyS0
root       354     1  0 14:07 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /bin/start_getty 115200 ttyS0 vt102
root       372   354  0 14:07 ttyS0    00:00:00 /sbin/getty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt102
root       415   398  0 14:15 pts/0    00:00:00 grep ttyS0
Any way I can find why getty is stuck?
blue_z

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:04 am

liamd wrote: If you could check over my process and/or suggest some things to try I'd really appreciate it.
To clearly explain what you've done, please do not make up your own names or rename items (e.g. "A5D3_XPLD"), describe what you have done accurately (e.g. of=/dev/sd is not likely to be correct), and there's no need to be pedantic (e.g. "Umounted with umount" and 'sync' is superfluous when preceding 'umount' ).

liamd wrote: The serial console still seems to hang.
Despite the information that you have provided, you neglect to describe any details that actually pertain to this specific issue.
What connections are you using on the target board?
Exactly how is this "serial console" connected to the host PC?
Instead of your vague summation of "it's [sic] serial device pops up on my Linux machine", what actually happens?
Have you performed a sanity check by booting from NAND flash again to verify that your connections are actually the same as before?

Regards
liamd

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 am

blue_z wrote:
To clearly explain what you've done, please do not make up your own names or rename items (e.g. "A5D3_XPLD"), describe what you have done accurately (e.g. of=/dev/sd is not likely to be correct),
XPLD was from the part number, but I've since realized that you use the full form throughout your codebases. I agree that us engineers should stick to common terminology.
blue_z wrote:
(e.g. "Umounted with umount" and 'sync' is superfluous when preceding 'umount' ).
Thanks, that seems obvious; not sure why I thought it was necessary.
blue_z wrote:
Have you performed a sanity check by booting from NAND flash again to verify that your connections are actually the same as before?
Yes.

I'm in the process of merging BalenaOS into your Yocto codebase. I'll see if the serial issue remains. In the meantime I'm happy with SSH.

I'll report back if it starts working or not.

Cheers for your help.

Return to “SAMA5-based”