SAM9x60 no output to the terminal

Moderator: nferre

pinout

SAM9x60 no output to the terminal

Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello,

I have a problem launching the SAM9x60 EK board. How I can output some messages on the terminal ? I have followed SAM9X60-EK User's Guide and checked all default jumper settings, but no startup message appearing on the screen. Ports on device manager are visible. How I can see messages from board?

Thanks for answers.
blue_z

Re: SAM9x60 no output to the terminal

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 pm

pinout wrote: I have followed SAM9X60-EK User's Guide...
You need to be much more specific/descriptive than that.
Also negative descriptions do not help. The list of things that do not happen is infinite. Rather, describe what does happen.
For instance what LEDs are lit up?
Once the board is initialized and booting, you should see three green LEDs active.

Also, it seems like Microchip decided to save a few pennies on manufacturing this board by not pre-installing any firmware in onboard flash.
Use a SD card to boot, or install a Linux4SAM demo image using SAM-BA.

Regards
pinout

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 am

Hi Blue_z

When the board is powered up, the LD1 LED glowing green and after several seconds starts flashing blue color. Also, disable boot LED always glowing green. I tried to install Ensemble Graphics Toolkit demo image, connected LCD display and everything worked fine. But when I follow board setup (4.2, from SAM9X60-EK user guide), I don't get any startup messages to the terminal.
blue_z

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 pm

You should have received two (2) USB cables with your SAM9X60-EK board.
You need to connect one USB cable to J22 for the VBUS_JLINK console link.
The connection to J7 is essentially for powering the board, and although Linux may establish a CDC/ACM link there's no getty to permit a login.

For the SAM-BA maintenance utility you could use just a single USB cable.
Otherwise this board needs to have one connection for the console link, and another connection for power.
This EK board cannot combine these two functions into one USB connection like Xplained boards.
Note that header J24 (for DEBUG) and barrel connector J1 (for power) are alternatives for the respective USB connections.
Refer to Access the console for the former.

Consider opening a trouble ticket with Microchip tech support regarding the misleading/incomplete instructions in the user guide.

Regards

Return to “SAM9-based”