Debugging freezes Atmel Studio 7

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

Athazo

Debugging freezes Atmel Studio 7

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi guys,

i'm having issues debugging a SAM4E MCU with the Atmel SAM-ICE in Atmel Studio 7 (Win10): Sometimes debugging works as expected, but often Atmel Studio freezes when hitting a breakpoint or during single-stepping through the code. The LED of the SAM-ICE goes out, turns red and then starts flashing very fast. I then get the notification "Atmel Studio is busy" and a pop-up "Waiting for an operation to complete". I usually have no choice other than closing Atmel Studio by killing the Atmel Backend Component process in the task manager since the Studio completely freezes.

I tried installing the newest J-Link drivers (v6.64) and starting Atmel Studio as administrator, but this didn't solve the problem. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
rubear

Re: Debugging freezes Atmel Studio 7

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 pm

This happens to me debugging the SAMD21.
"An ongoing operation is taking longer than expected.
Details: Tool-> pollForTools
You can stop waiting for the operation, ..."

This has been happening for many years. Different projects, different PCs, different debugger dongles. (Currently using the Power Debugger)
I have raised this issue several times with Atmel, but not yet with Microchip.

Smaller projects aren't as bad.
I spend more time waiting than debugging.

-Robert

Return to “Development Tools”