Starting with SAM3S

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

stefano664

Starting with SAM3S

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 am

Good morning,
I'm doing firsts steps with a SAM3S1B on a custom board, environment is Atmel Studio 6, ASF 3.3.

I have a problem when try to create a new solution with my micro. Step-by-step:

1) File -> New -> Project
2) C/C++ -> Userboard -> Userboard SAM3S
3) Slect the used micro (SAM3S1B)
4) Add some ASF moduls with ASF wizard (GPIO, IOPORT, PIO)
5) Add some defines in borda_conf.h (BOARD_FREQ_SLCK_XTAL, BOARD_FREQ_SLCK_BYPASS, BOARD_FREQ_MAINCK_XTAL, BOARD_FREQ_MAINCK_BYPASS)
6) Click on build solution

The compiler return this error:
Error 1 exceptions.h: No such file or directory ...\drivers\pio\pio_handler.c 44 24 USER_APPLICATION5

I've tried to manually copy exceptions.h but after that return other "file not found" errors.

Were is the mistake? Someone can help me?

Stefano
ajienikicio

Re: Starting with SAM3S

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:45 am

Hi there!

I've recently made a custom board as well with an AT91SAM3S chip. The hardware is ready but the chip has nothing inside yet. I need to be able to code into the chip just like coding into any other commercial MCU board (e.g. arduino). I'm going to use the Atmel SAM-ICE over JTAG to interface my board to my PC.

Could you please share the steps to get started working on the software using Atmel Studio?

Thank you so much!
miklos.gal

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 pm

I had some trouble with Atmel Studio, when selecting "user board", and I found it useful to create another project, select "SAM3S-EK - ATSAM3S4C" from the Atmel-Boards list , and modify that to match my board (I use ATSAM3S4B on my board). If you still want to start off from "user board", it's still a good source of information how it was done for an Atmel board.

Also, it's a good idea to upgrade to the latest Atmel Studio, there may be bugs that cause trouble, and it's not you doing something wrong (stefano).

Anyways, if you are interested, I can share how my board looks, and what code I have. It just flashes an LED, while writing back characters on the USB that were received on the serial port.
ajienikicio

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 am

Hi!

Thanks for replying. I've actually had quite a large progress now. It turned out to be straightforward enough :) . I agree that starting from a user board from scratch will give us a number of errors at the beginning (clock configuration, etc), but all of them can be worked out as far as I remember.

If you don't mind, I'm really interested to see your board and schematics :) I didn't implement a USB on my board, so I'd love to know how you got it to work.

Return to “Development Tools”