SAM4S which IDE is b to use IAR Workbench or Atmel Studio 6?

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

subodh

SAM4S which IDE is b to use IAR Workbench or Atmel Studio 6?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Hello,

I am new to Atmel's ARM processors and tools. We are trying to build a board with SAM4S-WPIR-RD like functionality.

Atmel's web site SW is all IAR Workbench based. So, I have downloaded that IDE. I noticed that Atmel Studio has SAM4S based source projects.

Can someone tell me which is a better tool? And if something else is better, please let me know.

Thanks.

Subodh
CptTitanic

Re: SAM4S which IDE is b to use IAR Workbench or Atmel Studi

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Keil? Rowley? both are nicer than IAR in my opinion, but it's all about what features you like, and whose interface works for you.

Define what "better" means.

With development tools you usually get what you pay for. Spend nothing, don't expect people to line up and provide you with free tech support, bug resolution or features. If you expect a lot of support be prepared to pay for a tool with a support contract.

If better means free, just go with GNU/GCC, with Eclipse if you need a glorified IDE/project environment. Debugging is a bit burdensome compared to more integrated solutions.

Some things get too integrated and hide important information and detail, these will make it appear easy to do things, but prevent you from really understanding the mechanics.
subodh

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm

CptTitanic wrote:Define what "better" means.
Some things get too integrated and hide important information and detail, these will make it appear easy to do things, but prevent you from really understanding the mechanics.
First of thanks for replying, CptTitanic!

As a new guy, with tight deadline (!) so "better" means stable. The target is SAM4S16C and based on SAM4S-WPIR-RD board from Atmel.

Atmel Studio 6.0 does not support that board and demo software is built with IAR projects only. I don't get that disconnect and unfortunately, it means I need to port some serious functionality from IAR projects to Atmel Studio or cough up the licensing fees for IAR. That's why I wanted to know if either one of them has any advantages over other.

From your reply, I am guessing that both are equal :-) and there are better alternatives.

Thanks again.
CptTitanic

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 am

I haven't invested too much effort in AS6 to this point, but would have to believe it can support Cortex-M3 and M4 boards. Just which boards specifically is another matter, but it's designed to be able to target user boards which will never come from Atmel. Some effort to support one's own board would not be wasted, and perhaps better understood at the outset than when you're close to completion. Provided the tool supports the CPU migrating the board is a matter of knowing your board, and driving the tools.

If the code foot print is less than 32KB the give an IAR eval/kick-start a whirl.

Porting a project between tool chains is a familiar task, I've pull things from IAR, Atollic and GNU into Keil, and back out to other chains. The key is to understand the files explicitly called out, the paths to includes and libraries that get searched, and defines and options within the project.

You'd think vendors would provide migration tools. I know it's a feature I'd add if I wanted to steal new customers with legacy projects.
Bob_Keil

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Hello

If you want to look at Keil: try my SAM4 lab here: www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_228.asp
SAM3: www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_229.asp
A DSP example is provided using the free ARM DSP libraries.
Keil MDK has many DSPs and example code for Atmel SAM7, SAM9, SAM3 and SAM4.
www.arm.com/ds5 for Linux and Android.
Keil software starts at $2,695 with tech support. Eval version to 32K is free.
RTX RTOS has a BSD license now and ports are available for Keil, IAR and GCC. www.arm.com/cmsis.
I am planning a CAN lab for SAM3 or SAM4 this year. Will post this here.
Bob

Return to “Development Tools”