Building linux image on windows using buildroot

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

alassg

Building linux image on windows using buildroot

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Do any of you know if building a linux image using buildroot using a window computer is possible?
I've been trying to build an image using mingw and buildroot, but i'm having a few errors and i'm wondering if windows is the problem.
This is what happen when i'm trying to build an image :

Code: Select all

# make
/usr/bin/make -j1 O=/c/Users/Alassane/Documents/Entreprise/projet/buildroot/output HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCXX="/usr/bin/g++" syncconfig
make[1] : on entre dans le répertoire « /c/Users/Alassane/Documents/Entreprise/projet/buildroot »
make[1] : on quitte le répertoire « /c/Users/Alassane/Documents/Entreprise/projet/buildroot »
>>> host-skeleton  Extracting
>>> host-skeleton  Patching
>>> host-skeleton  Configuring
>>> host-skeleton  Building
>>> host-skeleton  Installing to host directory
ln: /c/Users/Alassane/Documents/Entreprise/projet/buildroot/output/host/usr : unable to delete directory
make: *** [package/pkg-generic.mk:260 : /c/Users/Alassane/Documents/Entreprise/projet/buildroot/output/build/host-skeleton/.stamp_host_installed] Erreur 1
If someon has any idead on that, i'd be grateful.
blue_z

Re: Building linux image on windows using buildroot

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:01 am

alassg wrote: Do any of you know if building a linux image using buildroot using a window computer is possible?
I do not have a definitive answer (as I know very little about MinGW), but have doubts that is feasible.
IMO you are trying to put the proverbial square peg in a (smaller) round hole.
MinGW is described as "a complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to Windows".
Buildroot is much more than just a toolchain, so how can you be assured that this "complete runtime environment for gcc" is sufficient for complicated make scripts?

Did you install all of the necessary (Linux) utility programs that Buildroot requires?

For embedded development I prefer to use a stable and reliable platform.
I am not interested in spending time and effort setting up and/or using an unproven development environment.
Even the latest version of a popular Linux distribution can sometimes be problematic, e.g. see this thread.
I prefer to stick to proven environments so that I can develop firmware for the target rather than be distracted by investigating/debugging the host platform.

If you want to be a MinGW expert , then that is a different issue and not related to this site.

Regards
alassg

Re: Building linux image on windows using buildroot

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 pm

blue_z wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:01 am
alassg wrote: Do any of you know if building a linux image using buildroot using a window computer is possible?
I do not have a definitive answer (as I know very little about MinGW), but have doubts that is feasible.
IMO you are trying to put the proverbial square peg in a (smaller) round hole.
MinGW is described as "a complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to Windows".
Buildroot is much more than just a toolchain, so how can you be assured that this "complete runtime environment for gcc" is sufficient for complicated make scripts?

Did you install all of the necessary (Linux) utility programs that Buildroot requires?

For embedded development I prefer to use a stable and reliable platform.
I am not interested in spending time and effort setting up and/or using an unproven development environment.
Even the latest version of a popular Linux distribution can sometimes be problematic, e.g. see this thread.
I prefer to stick to proven environments so that I can develop firmware for the target rather than be distracted by investigating/debugging the host platform.

If you want to be a MinGW expert , then that is a different issue and not related to this site.

Regards
Hello and thank ou for your answer.
I finally understood the limits of mingw and i decided to go with a virtual machine and alpine linux. I'm still not able to build a linux image due to a few errors i have when i launch a "make", but i'll try to solve theses issues.

Return to “Development Tools”