Booting WinCE using SPI dataflash on AT91SAM9263-EK

This forum is for users of Atmel's SAM Series and who are interested in using WinCE OS.

Moderator: nferre

jjones@msa

Booting WinCE using SPI dataflash on AT91SAM9263-EK

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 pm

I am working on some drivers for the AT91SAM9263-EK development board (using Adeneo BSP) and I am having an issue getting the SPI dataflash to load the boot image. I am using SAM-BA 2.9 and the latest version of the isp-dataflash-at91sam9263.bin file. I follow the instructions from the Getting Started manual (remove J29 jumper and dataflash card from slot, reset board, run SAM-BA, select Dataflash, select Enable Datafalsh, and then hit Execute) but it returns, "-E- Script error: Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can't detect known device)".

I did some searching and even used an older version of the .bin file and that returned the same results.

I can load the NAND flash fine so when I connect the debug serial port I get the menu in Hyperterminal that lets you perform some basic operations. Since this works, is it necessary to get the SPI dataflash working?

I used the ATK91SAM9263EK_DEMO project in Platform Builder as my first OS image and I can build and load it onto the evaluation board but it never runs. In the serial debug window, the last message I get is "!KITLSend: Error in KitlSendFrame" and then nothing after that. I expect to be able to set the points on the touch screen and then have the OS start up.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!
guangyu.ren

Re: Booting WinCE using SPI dataflash on AT91SAM9263-EK

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:54 am

Regarding DataFlash failure, I think probably you did not plug in the DataFlash card. Please understand AT91SAM9263EK does not include an onboard DataFlash chip, instead, you need to have a Data Flash card, which should be inserted into top SD Slot.

Whether you need to make DataFlash work or not depends on your design. NandFlash should be enough to boot your OS, however, DataFlash add you another option in your hardware design.

Regarding the KITL error, I think you have something wrong in the KITL transport channel and PC side configuraiton. However, if you just want to make your OS boot, you do not need KITL. You can select Release build in your "Configuration Manager" and disable debug in the EBoot menu.
jjones@msa

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Thank you for your reply. I eventually did figure out my problem. I didn't realize you had to change the addresses manually for physical starting address, starting ip, and ROM size. I did not find this in ANY of the documentation I looked at. The Atmel FAE sent me a Power Point presentation that was more detailed than anything else I had ever seen regarding getting an OS up and running on a development board. So, now I can build and load an image with no problems.

I also discovered why debugging wasn't working. You can't have the Ethernet port enabled if you want to debug over Ethernet. Ooops... I somehow missed the warning that came up on the screen when both are selected.
adamax

Fri May 21, 2010 11:39 am

Hi jjones!

I am trying to have KITL debug working and...
I guess I am facing exactly the same problem you had.

As you said,
"You can't have the Ethernet port enabled if you want to debug over Ethernet. "

So, could you please tell me what was you final configuration?

1-Ethernet driver: I guess you have not selected, right?
2-If answer is yes, how did you download the image to the board (it usually used ethernet)?
3-KITL: once 1 & 2 are done, where do KITL messages pass? Meaning, what is the configuration I have to use in terms of cable connection? Example: ethernet cable directly connected from PC to Board or...

Thanks much in advance and please excuse me if my questions are banal but... I keep on learning.
Adeneo

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi adamax,

If you want to use KITL you should not have the Ethernet component selected in the BSP catalog. The reason is because KITL have its own Ethernet driver which conflicts with the BSP Ethernet driver if selected.

HTH

Return to “WinCE”